Blokworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phew!

Go down

Phew! Empty Phew!

Post by Slaihne Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:36 pm

Hectic couple of weeks with my dayjob, but time is beginning to free up.

Sorry for not replying to a couple of posts sooner, still getting the hang of these boards. Didn't realise there were new posts since i wasn't logged in (didn't realise i wasn't). Doh! Embarassed

Just got the barebones web service up to allow logins and record some stats from the engine during testing and a basic login form on engine startup.

The next couple of weeks will be spent on the following...

Basic Interface for block selection
Cross hair
Error Trapping and Logging
Stats gathering
Tidy up directory structure for assets
Complete player collision detection
Tidy up in game diagnostics

In short, lots of donkey work.

Hopefully this will be completed in a week or two, i'll keep you posted, then i'll send some pm's about how to download etc.
Slaihne
Slaihne

Back to top Go down

Phew! Empty Re: Phew!

Post by Slaihne Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:11 pm

Got the crosshair in. Boy do i hate projection matrices.

Todo:

Basic Interface for block selection
Tidy up directory structure for assets
Complete player collision detection
Tidy up in game diagnostics

Partly Done:

Error Trapping and Logging
Stats gathering
Slaihne
Slaihne

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaihne Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:34 am

Reworked lighting to use 4 bits per channel instead of the 8 bits i used to use.

Done this to reduce memory consumption by half, then took all that ram back again so that i can have 2 light buffers, a back buffer and front buffer.

This will facilitate improved world update code. It basically means that the 'front' light buffer will always be correct at any point in time. There won't be any dark / part filled areas.

This is important because player updates need to nip into the update cycle at the soonest possible moment. If the update cycle was processing chunks near the player then the player updates have to wait until the light is fully generated in these chunks. Basically it leads to lag when large updates are taking place near the player.

If the world update uses the back buffer then the player updates can use the front buffer directly, i can have my cake and eat it too! Rolling Eyes

Also, this will be useful for critters since they get their light from the buffer; now they can get their light from the front buffer so there won't be any possible glitches.

I'm sticking with the current update method for the tech-test since it basically works, but does have lag with large world updates near the player. I will be working on the better method after releasing the tech-test.
Slaihne
Slaihne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum