Blokworld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internals

Go down

Internals Empty Internals

Post by Slaihne Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:45 am

I've been reworking the landscape update code to better cater for large areas being updated simultaneously and also to better handle single threaded execution.

I've basically taken the complete update cycle and streamlined it. Blocks can be changed (or block regions) through a single point and the chunks are updated for drawing again through a single point.

It can run single or dual threaded.

The single point for block changes will be important for saving the world as it's modified as i intend on saving changes rather than chunks, with some sort of versioning control.

I'm currently rejigging the liquid processing to fit in with these changes.

Unfortunately there's not much to see with this sort of stuff so no new video incoming.
Slaihne
Slaihne

Back to top Go down

Internals Empty Re: Internals

Post by Slaihne Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Yea, cheers

Think i've got the sea filling out again with the new update method. Still fills too slow. On a fill front there is a lot of relighting and regenerating meshes going on, far too much.

This was a previous problem too, but the new update method should allow me expand re-lighting areas on the fly before they are processed, reducing the number of re-light calls and thus the number of chunks that need meshes generated.
Slaihne
Slaihne

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaihne Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Sea filling at a great speed now. Will fill areas around 20 x 20 x 20 blocks in size in a couple of seconds.

Sea fill slows down based on the size of the 'front', but i can't really avoid that since a larger front means more chunks needing redrawn.

To complete this area i think all i need to do is a slow pass over the world to restart areas that have stopped because they were too far away from the player.
Slaihne
Slaihne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum